Sunday, June 23, 2013

An interview with Bones

3L wrote some questions for Clare 'Bones' Hollebone, one of the Australian Stingrays. She kindly replied and here is her response!

Dear 3L,
Clare Hollebone - Vice Captain
Mr Latham (aka. Mr Ray. Great work with the Finding Nemo pick up Lana. I think it’s a perfect ‘Ray’ name for Mr Latham.) has been telling us all about you. I love hearing about what you’ve been up to in the classroom, especially when it involves frisbee and the Stingrays. We were all very impressed when Mr Ray told us that some of you are able to do over 100 calf raises. That is incredible! You must all be very good at running and jumping.
Mr Ray has sent me some questions that you’d like to know the answers to so here we go….
1. WHEN DID YOU START PLAYING ULTIMATE FRISBEE?
I didn’t start playing Ultimate Frisbee till 3 years ago in my first year of university. Unfortunately when I was at school, Ultimate Frisbee was a very small and unknown sport so I never came across it until I’d finished. I now coach Ultimate Frisbee in schools in Melbourne with kids just like you and I love giving more and more kids the opportunity that I didn’t have to learn about the sport.
Although I didn’t get to play Ultimate Frisbee in school, I was lucky enough to play a whole lot of other sports which have helped me in learning to play Ultimate. I’ve done basketball, indoor and outdoor soccer both as goalkeeper, field hockey, a little bit of inline hockey (it’s like ice hockey on roller blades) water polo, athletics, rowing, skiing, snowboarding, surfing, swimming, AFL and touch rugby. I love sports and love to try new things. The first time I ever went to an Ultimate Frisbee training at University I had never played before and I didn’t know anyone, but because I love to try new things I went along anyway and gave it a go. This was the day I was recruited to play in the Junior Australian Women’s team who were going to Germany that year. If I hadn’t played in that team, I probably wouldn’t be as good at Ultimate as I am today and might not have made the U23 team this year with Mr Ray.
You are already so lucky to be learning about Ultimate Frisbee, but no matter what sport or activity you are given the chance to try - it could be anything! Maybe music or reading or maths - always give it a go!
2. WHAT POSITION DO YOU PLAY?
I have always been very fast and very good at jumping and catching so my main position is a receiver. This means I get to score a lot of points. I prefer to play on defense though and after listening to all Mr Ray’s coaching and working really hard in all my training the last few months, I have improved so much at stopping the other team getting the Frisbee and can’t wait to show everyone how much I’ve improved in Canada.
3. WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO BESIDES PLAYING ULTIMATE FRISBEE?
My favourite thing to do besides playing Utlimate Frisbee is spending time in the snow. I mostly snowboard but I also love to ski. If any of you have ever been to the snow (maybe to Thredbo or Perisher) you would have seen the ‘liftys’ helping you on and off the chair lifts. That is my job during the winter season at Mt Buller in Victoria. When there isn't any snow though I enjoy spending time with friends and family, especially when we are doing something active together like surfing, playing team sports or just going for walks. I also LOVE to bake! My specialty is choc chip brownies.
4. IS IT HARD TO BE VICE CAPTAIN?
No. The Stingrays are a very supportive team and I also have a fantastic Captain (Sophie/Phi and Co-Vice Captain (Chloe) by my side. As a team we all help each other out so that it no one ever feels like they are alone.
5. WHY DO YOU LIKE ULTIMATE FRISBEE?
My favourite thing about Ultimate Frisbee is the ‘Spirit of the Game’. After being involved in so many sports with referees all my life, it is such a nice change to see the players taking responsibility for their own conduct on the field. I think all sports could do with a little more sportsmanship sometimes. I also love how much running and jumping is involved. It always feels so great when you jump up for a Frisbee that you think might be just out of reach and all of a sudden it’s in your hands. There is always room for improvement as well. I enjoy being able to always ask other players questions on how to do something and then practicing and training hard to keep getting better and better all the time.
6. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ANIMAL?
This is a hard question. I love all animals. My favourite would probably have to be dogs though. They are so loyal and caring. I have a pet dog called Phoebe. She is a Shitzu X Poodle and is nearly 15, so for a dog she is getting very old. She is now deaf and likes to sleep a lot during the day but when I get home after being out she is always so happy to see me and I love seeing her.
I hope this answers some of your questions. Maybe you could tell me some things about you. What things do you like to do? What are your favourite animals? What is something you've always wanted to try doing or getting involved with but haven’t yet?
Looking forward to hearing more stories from Class Ray,
Clare/Bones
Ps. I hear there is a Claire in your class. My name is spelt without an ‘i’ but people always think it’s spelt the same way as yours. Do people ever spell your name wrong?
Bones catching the frisbee on the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment